Friday 7 September 2012

''Cheers Darlin''


What else can I say? 
Did not the trees look lovely, 
Lapping sunsets and eavesdropping? 
We fed them lies and laughed. 
Laughed, 
As the sparrows, 
As the crickets. 
Our voices clear as the night air, 
The rain that fell, 
Chasing our feet. 
How they danced 
Under those streetlights 
Grasping at our shadows. 
And what of the walls? 
Straining, straining, 
Yet we would not share our songs. 

What else can I do? 
Walk on water? 
Tame a raging sea? 
From this mountain, 
I have seen beyond Jordan and returned 
To tread across ruins, 
To bones once called Lazarus, 
To the last embers of a falling sun 
To them that have seen me laugh 
As a river, 
As a happy tale. 
I grow old 
Amidst these trees and broken streetlights. 
They whisper to the walls 
How I remind them 
Of someone they once knew.

3 comments:

  1. U Mamawii Khiangte30 January 2013 at 09:57

    This is the sentimental side of you - nostalgic and dreamy and hazy - anpther side of you!

    ReplyDelete