Friday 7 September 2012

Names



My name is not enough
So I'll have to suffer
''Whose son are you?''
In hopes that I drop 
the name of some officer 
or politician or businessman 
A name that they have heard
Probably blackened with envy
In small meaningless conversations 
Over tea and theology
So when I utter a name unrecognized
They hesitate
Desperate to associate it 
With one they wish they knew better
And when they fail 
''What does she do?''
A humble seamstress
From whom I inherit 
Only a debt of love
They turn away,
And wonder if I will stay long
My name is not enough.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog today, and it seems I'm going to sing your praises on every post. Loved this one too

    ReplyDelete
  2. U Mamawii Khiangte30 January 2013 at 08:43

    Sanga, you have brought out so shrewdly the psyche of humans - names that impress - some which don't - names names names - we buy names now don't we? - Versace, Gucci, Jimmy Choo, Benetton et al - life is so hollow in a way - sad, so very sad :(

    ReplyDelete